The Austin SCBWI RA Scholarship is awarded each year to a children’s book writer who has the passion and desire to pursue a career in this industry. It is designed to give the winning writer a good foundation from which they can continue to learn and grow as a children’s book author.
The recipient receives:
* Full scholarship to our annual conference, held May 2-3, 2020, in Austin (does not include travel, critiques or pitch/consultation)
* Two free webinars organized by Austin SCBWI within 2020
*One year membership to SCBWI (or a membership extension if the recipient is already a member)
* Craft and publishing questions answered by the Austin RA (Regional Advisor) Samantha M Clark, author of THE BOY, THE BOAT, AND THE BEAST (Paula Wiseman Books/Simon & Schuster) as time permits during 2020
Please note: This scholarship does not include critiques because we don’t want to put pressure on the winner to perform at a certain level. Our aim is to encourage, lift and guide the writer, so they can have a step in the right direction.
Members and non-members in central Texas are eligible. Pre-published, unagented writers only.
Prepare one (1) Word document that includes the following:
* Brief cover letter answering these questions (there are no right or wrong answers; we just want to get to know you and your goals):
1. Tell us about you. What’s your current job or life situation? Have you attended an SCBWI conference before?
2. Why do you want a career in children’s literature?
3. What are your career goals?
4. What does writing mean to you?
5. What do you hope to get out of this scholarship?
* One writing sample of children’s literature (fiction or nonfiction, picture book or novel) up to three (3) pages. This should be formatted with standard formatting rules.
Name the file with a keyword(s) from the title of your work (e.g.: HarryPotterSorcerer)
Applications should be emailed to ascbwi-rascholarship @ outlook.com (remove the spaces around the @). Put your name and the title of your work in the body of the email. Please make sure the title of the work is included on the first page of the document but NOT your name. Make the subject line: ASCBWI RA Scholarship Application.
Application deadline is Feb. 15, 2020.