Want more great speakers at our monthly meetings? Want more webinars and workshops at low prices? Want more learning, networking and pitching at our annual conference?
We do too! And we want to continue to expand our scholarship program so we can help more writers and illustrators like you create the best children's books possible.
Austin SCBWI is completely run by volunteers and we try to keep our prices low so you can build your career without a big hit on your wallet. To do that, we need you help. But the best part is—you can help us while helping yourself too.
Be a part of Austin SCBWI's only fund-raiser: The Silent Auction at annual 2017 Writers & Illustrators Working Conference. Donate an item, then come to the conference and bid to win a fantastic piece of artwork, critique, consultation, or more.
Attendees love all of the great donated items, which add to the excitement of the conference. Whether it's a clever fun gift basket from your critic group, a piece of art, a gift card that can be put into a gift tree, or other generous items such as photo shoots and getaways—we welcome your donation! You can also help by asking your work or friends to donate something from their businesses, as appropriate. We will link to their business website on this page as well as list all our donors in the conference folders and thank them via our social media.
We need your help to make this Austin SCBWI’s best fund-raiser ever. Email coordinators Sandy Powers and Kyle Carroll to donate.
BID TO WIN THESE AMAZING ITEMS…
Here are some of the things you can look forward to seeing on the silent auction tables at our 2017 conference:
* Take an intensive three-month picture book writing mentorship with award-winning author and mentor Kathi Appelt. Over the course of your time together, you'll work on up to four manuscripts. Kathi will guide you through the initial generation of ideas through multiple revisions.
* Picture book critique by Full Circle Literary agent Stefanie Von Borstel for a diverse author/illustrator either in person or by phone. Stefanie will critique a picture book dummy or a manuscript with sample artwork and a portfolio
* 30-minute portfolio review via video chat with Pengiun Random House art director Giuseppe Castellano
* Half-hour life coaching session with Viking Childrens Book/Penguin Random House Executive Editor and life coach Kendra Levin
* 60-minute Skype-based "legal issues for authors" informational workshop for an individual or critique group where authors can ask author and law professor Jacqueline Lipton questions about copyright, contract, defamation and other laws that may impact their writing careers
* First chapter critique with Yellow Bird Editors
* Critique and basket of non-fiction from author Cynthia Levinson
* Weekend ranch getaway donated by Meredith Davis
* Overnight stay including breakfast at the Crowne Plaza Austin
* 1-year membership plus a half-day class registration with Writers League of Texas
* Entrance to Saturday programming at the 2017 Houston SCBWI Conference in October
* Signed copy of THE HERO IS YOU by Kendra Levin
* Autographed copy of THE WILD TEXAS STAMPEDE and a 10-inch black and white origame ostrich from Margaret McManis
* Framed original artwork by Vanessa Roeder
* Original whimsical watercolor by Sue Cleveland
* Original artwork by Rivkah LaFille
* Western-themed "Little Free Library" from the Texas Center for the Book
* Pet portrait by Susan Kay Dunning
* Magic Camp donated by Aaron Parker-Fasel
* 3-month Family Membership to the YMCA of Austin
* Kindle Fire HD donated by Austin Family magazine
* Gift basket by Armadillustrators with books by members, t-shirt, stickers and more
* Horse-themed gift basket by Donna Janell Bowman
* Three Storyboard Notebooks by Tadaa Books donated by Michelle Fandrich
* Health and Wellness Package from Gayle Coates
* 13-foot kayak donated by Gail Shipley
* Goodie bag from Koko Fit Club Cypress Creek
* Krispy Kreme package with special Krispy Kreme items and coupons
And lots more!
Email Sandy to donate an item — art, book sculpture, nesting doll, basket, gift card or whatever. You can also bring your donation to the conference Saturday morning during registration.
Thank YOU to our generous faculty and our amazing SCBWI members!
Y'all make the silent auction a success! We look forward to seeing you at the 2017 Writers & Illustrators Working Conference in May.