Austin SCBWI believes that diverse worlds in books benefits readers, stories and our real world. To help writers and illustrators create diverse characters, we launched our annual Austin SCBWI Scholarship for Creators of Diverse Characters in 2015 and have been thrilled to watch it grow.
Kidlit and teenlit writers and illustrators of all genres whose work in progress has characters (main or supporting) that are diverse in race, ethnicity, religion, sexual preference, disabilities, etc., may enter.
So the scholarship can focus on the work, submissions are anonymous and judged on the use of diverse characters as well as the creator’s skill with his or her craft.
Winners are awarded in 3 categories:
• Picture Books
The winner for each category will receive a scholarship for both days of our annual Writers & Illustrators Working Conference, including all the keynotes, breakout sessions and lunch. Critiques and other extras are not included.
A second honor award for each category will receive a 50% discount to either the full conference or Saturday sessions.
Submissions will begin on Dec. 11 and the deadline to submit is Jan. 8.
Winners will be announced in mid-February, before registration for the next conference opens.
There is no submission fee to enter, but the scholarship is for SCBWI members only. If you are not a member, find out more on SCBWI.org.
Only one submission is allowed per person.
Writers prepare one (1) Word document that includes the following:
• Brief 3-4 sentence paragraph about your use of diverse characters in this work in progress
• One (1) page writing sample from your manuscript formatted with standard formatting rules. This page can be the first page or a representative page from elsewhere in the manuscript.
• Name the file with a keyword(s) from the title of your work and your category, e.g.: HarryPotterSorcerer-Novels
Illustrators prepare the following:
• One to three (1-3) illustration sample from the work in progress, either a portfolio piece or illustrations from a picture book dummy (not the full dummy), no more than 5MB in size
• One (1) Word document with a brief 3-4 sentence paragraph about your use of diverse characters in this piece or dummy.
• Name your image(s) and Word document with a keyword(s) from the title of your work and your category, e.g.: GoodnightMoon-Illustration
Please make sure the title and category are included on the first page of the document but NOT your name.
Submissions will be delivered via email to ascbwi-diversity @ outlook.com (remove the spaces around the @). Put your name, the title and category in the body of the email. Make the subject line: ASCBWI Diversity Scholarship Application.
Please note: We encourage all SCBWI member writers and illustrators to enter, no matter where they live. However, the scholarship does NOT cover airfare or hotel for out-of-town guests.
We look forward to getting your submission. Good luck!